About the Technology
In 1967, Dr. Akira Fujishima began experiments measuring the effect of sunlight on titanium dioxide. When he put crystals of titanium dioxide in water and exposed it to sunlight he found bubbles of oxygen came out. He found this process is remarkably similar to the process of photosynthesis that plants use to produce oxygen from sunlight. Further experiments led to the discovery of “oxidative degradation” properties of sunlight and titanium dioxide. This means titanium dioxide when excited by sunlight, or more specifically ultra violet light, produces enough power to break down many harmful elements and odiferous vapors at the molecular level that comes close to the surface of the titanium dioxide.
There are many practical applications for the process of oxidative degradation also referred to as “photocatalytic oxidation” (PCO). For instance, titanium dioxide mixed with paint used for street signs creates a photocatalytic oxidation, or breakdown, of soot and greasy dirt, which in turn allows rain to wash the signs clean. The net effect is the creation of self-cleaning road signs. There are many other applications of titanium dioxide that have been utilized in commercial products, like sunscreen lotions, self bleaching clothing and superhydrophillic side view mirrors for cars.
Dr. Elliot Berman and Zentox Corporation have developed the optimal expression of photocatalytic oxidation for air purification systems.
- By embedding catalyst of fumed titanium dioxide nanoparticles via a proprietary process into a fibrous glass media that vastly increases the number of molecular reaction sites which leads to dramatically improved performance and efficiency when compared to other PCO devices.
- Dr. Berman included a novel mix of elements as catalyst that destroys additional toxins like Carbon Monoxide, Ethylene and Hydrogen not affected by traditional PCO devices using only titanium dioxide.
- The additional catalyst further accelerates the overall photocatalytic reactions.
- Photox air purification systems by Zentox moves contaminated air through fumed nanoparticles attached to a thick three dimensional array of glass fibers creating a tortuous path for pathogens dramatically increasing exposure to the countless molecular reaction sites while other PCO devices simply move air through thinly coated surfaces within a chamber.
- As a testament to the efficacy of the Photox product, a laboratory test was conducted on the rate of removal of methanol by the action of UVA light on proprietary fumed titanium dioxide nanoparticles that compared the catalyst coated on glass and with the same catalyst coated on a fibrous matte. The test found the time to remove 90% of the methanol is reduced by 50% with the fibrous glass media compared to the catalyst coated on glass, even though, in the experiment, the area of the fibrous matte was only one third the area of the coated glass!
How PhotoX Works
PhotoX Air is an advanced air purification system that works at the molecular level by destroying microorganisms. The process, known as Photo Catalytic Oxidation (PCO), renders live airborne substances inactive and therefore harmless without creating any hazardous waste like ozone or hydrogen peroxide. The diagram below shows an airborne pathogen’s path to destruction.
1 Light Shield
2 Solid plates ensure that all air entering the device is treated as it passes through the Catalytic Reaction Module (CRM)
3 Powerful fan pulls ambient air through the bottom of the device and forces it evenly through the CRM
4 Thick pleated porous CRM
5 UV lamps excite the catalyst on the CRM destroying adsorbed contaminants
6 Clean air is returned to the room
PhotoX Air Systems moves contaminated air through a thickness of fibrous glass media which creates a tortuous path for pathogens dramatically increasing exposure to the countless molecular reaction sites while other PCO devices simply move air through thinly coated surfaces within a chamber.
Embedding catalyst of fumed titanium dioxide nanoparticles via a proprietary process into a fibrous glass media vastly increases the number of molecular reaction sites that leads to dramatically improved performance and efficiency.
Powerful airflow rates allow PhotoX Air systems to process ambient air 3 times per hour insuring continuous pure air.
Deep Science & Product Testing
Explore the world of extensive research and lab testing on Photox Photo Catalytic Reaction systems. The articles within have been accumulated over the last ten years. These include studies performed in hospital emergency room settings, testing by the Public Health Agency of Canada showing the effective reduction of H1N1 virus, MRSA, and Mycobacterium. Also included is a basic theory of operation.